Women travelling in Morocco

My daughter is planning to go to Morocco with a friend for a two week holiday. I have heard Morocco is amazing but have also heard that young women are hassled and made to feel very uncomfortable and unsafe by Moroccan men. It would be usful to read feedback from women who have travelled to Morocco recently. Many thanks, J.
I am a woman and have travelled to Morocco alone and had a fantastic time with no harassment or hassles whatsoever. People were very welcoming and friendly and as long as you reciprocate in the same way you won't have any problems. If approached by people selling things etc and you don't want anything just politely say no, smile and walk on - I had no problems using this strategy.

I travelled to Morocco alone twice in 2008. Men in the souks (market shops) hassle everyone, as Babs said, smile and walk on. There were always a lot of people in the streets beyond the souks and while I did have men follow me and want to talk with me and give me their phone numbers I never felt unsafe. Uncomfortable yes, unsafe no. Take the usual precautions about being out alone after dark, and dress respectfully for a Muslim country - my guide book said a woman should cover her knees and shoulders, though I saw plenty of women who didn't and they didn't seem to get harrassed in Marrakech, Rabat or Casablanca where I travelled - I've heard less touristic places may be a lot more traditional and a lot less tolerant of inappropriate dress. In general I found Moroccans very helpful and eager to please.



My Daughter is an American at school in Paris and also wants to go to Morroco for her spring break. I am very reticent to let her go as she is 21, going with a bunch of co-students, and without the guidance of her overseas program. I don't know where they would be staying, where they would be going and if they even know what proper Muslim womens culture observes. Also if she does inadvertantly get into trouble there is very little I can do to help her. Not worth the risk? or am I being overly paranoid.

thanks for the advice....



morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco