holiday in Marrakesh


I have been to Morocco recently and experienced a hassle free holiday. There was no such issue about clothing and unwanted attention. It is not a typical muslim country with strict regulation etc. I saw many local women in western clothes like jeans and tee shirts but not in short skirts. However there were many tourists and many white women wearing short skirts in the souks and bikinis at the water fall. So as I even read a lot about moroccan men before going there I found a very warm and welcoming atmosphere. People are very helpful but ask for money if they take you to a place or negotiate on your behalf in souks etc. which I think is acceptable. Yes there was a bit of hassle in the souks, especially in the evenings but simply smiling and walking away worked the best for me in all situations.
I went to Morocco in April 2009, what a wonderful country, the safest I have every visited nothing like what I have to deal with here in North America. Like all countries of course there are areas that are not safe, but as a young woman traveling alone never did I feel unsafe. Sure there were many men who asked for my number to none I gave, a polite no was all it took. I did find the worst dressed were tourist, they seem to have no respect that Morocco is a Muslim country. For women dress respectfully and stop showing so much flesh, who needs to see your ass cheeks hanging out your shorts and your cleavage showing for all to see? Dress appropriately. Morocco is a wonderful place, too bad the government does not do more for the poor.

I have just come back from a holiday in Marrakesh and unfortunately while we were there we had our bag stolen, got separated and my friend was raped. There is little or no victim support/ rape centres and you will not receive the same treatment as you would in the west. However the police were efficient and one man was caught within days.
Marrakesh is a wonderful place, just make sure that you don't walk around the medina late at night and don't trust anyone, despite how helpful they may be. We dressed appropriately and even wore headscarves, we were just in the wrong place at the wrong time

morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco