social etiquette - visiting boyfriend in Morocco


social etiquette - visiting boyfriend in Morocco
I am from the UK and my boyfriend (also from the UK) will be living in Casablanca for 6 months. I am planning on visiting him for a 2 week holiday. But as we are not married and in an Islamic country, will I be asked any awkward questions at the airport about where I am staying. Is it better to say I am staying at a hotel? Probably a daft question and I'm being paranoid - but any advice would be much appreciated!

It may be too late but I will advise anyway.
You have not stated whether your bf is Moroccan or English. When you arrive at the airport you will be expected to hand over an entry certificate stating your name, address, occupation, passport number, passport issuing office and the address where you are styaing in Morocco. If you put bogus information down (like a hotel) then you will be sorry you did this. If you intend to stay at his apartment then do write down the address. I can send you a copy of the form if you like, I just need your e-mail.

Several scenarios exist:

If you are both non-Moroccan, then you will not encounter any problems, whether or not you are married is of no consequence..

If either of you were Moroccan, with a Moroccan passport, then no hotel in Morocco would permit you to share the same room. The hotel would lose their operating license if this were discovered.
If, on the other hand, you were to occupy adjoining rooms with inner door access then there would technically be no problem.

If your bf has an apartment then there should be no problem unless there is an awkward doorman who will stop the Moroccan enterring.

Let me know if this was of use.



morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco