Moroccan Architecture

Moroccan Architecture

Morocco1 331For me, beautiful things are often (though not always) intricately detailed, colourful and symmetrical and glorious displays of arduous toil, great patience, dedication and genuine love. On a recent trip to Morocco I found what has now become the most beautiful building I have ever had the pleasure to visit: The Ben Youssef Madrasa. It was built in the 14th century as a Quranic school, capable of housing hundreds of boys selected to undergo several years of intensive study of the Qur’an and other subjects.
Walking through to the inner courtyard, it seemed every inch of space on the walls and pillars were carved with elaborate patterns and Islamic inscriptions, whether the surface was cedar, marble or stucco.
It was definitely one of the highlights of my trip and very happily sits in my collection of memories of ‘beautiful things’, to be recalled at will when I need inspiration.
Morocco1 332
Morocco1 333
morocco culture,moroccan food,morocco food,moroccan cuisine,morocco beaches,moroccan meal,beaches in morocco,moroccan culture,hercules cave,hercules cave morocco